We love our road trips. And sometimes, we just take short weekend trips and drive down to South Carolina, Georgia or to Tennessee. Road trips can be fun and easier than traveling by plane.
This summer, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)wants to make sure people planning a road trip have some useful information. According to the NAIC, eight out of 10 Americans said they were planning to take a vacation this summer.
One piece of information the NAIC wants you to know is that many travelers are unaware of what their car insurance policy actually covers. According to an April 2011 NAIC survey, 40 percent of Americans incorrectly believe their car insurance will cover the replacement of personal items stolen from their vehicle and one-third of Americans believe their auto insurance automatically covers a rental car.
To help you know the facts, NAIC has five tips for a stress-free summer road trip:
* Confirm your car insurance is active and premiums are up-to-date. Have a current copy of your insurance card in the car.
* Check to see if your policy includes roadside assistance. You can be covered for towing, fuel delivery, lockout service, jump-starts and more.
* If renting a car, check if your current policy includes coverage, and verify limitations with your agent. Some credit cards offer rental coverage, so check with your credit card company to determine if that is an option.
* If rental car coverage is not included in your policy, consider adding an insurance rider for a small fee or purchasing coverage from the rental car company. Make sure you don’t duplicate benefits from your existing auto, health or home insurance policy.
* Verify your homeowners or renters insurance covers the theft of personal items from a car, especially if you are planning to carry expensive items in your car such as golf clubs, video or digital cameras or laptops.
These are fantastic tips to make your summer road trips safe and fun! For more information, head on over to Auto.InsureUonline.org.
The NAIC also wants to help you on your road trip so they are offering one of my readers a $50 gas card to get you on the road! YAY! Enter to win.
Go to the NAIC site and tell me something you learned.
* Subscribe to my blog through email (1 entry)
* Follow me on Twitter @carogonza (1 entry)
* Like The Art of Random Willynillyness on Facebook page (1 entry)
* Tweet this giveaway. Leave the link to the tweet in your post. (1 entry/tweet per day)
* Follow my blog (1 entry)
* Subscribe to to my feed (1 entry)
* Add my button to your site (1 entry)
* Add my site to your blogroll (2 entries)
* Follow me on Networked Blogs (1 entry - see right sidebar for widget)
* Blog about this giveaway leave the link (3 entries)
* Add this Giveaway to a Sweepstakes site, Mr. Linky, your giveaway list etc. Leave the link!! (2 entries per submission - unlimited!!)
Make sure to leave a separate comment for the entries you complete!
Deadline: Friday, August 19 at 11:59 pm EST. I will use random.org to pick the winners so everyone has a chance to win. **PLEASE leave an email if your blogger profile does not include it or you don't have a blog. I need a way to contact you.** Once a winner is drawn I will contact them and the winner will have 48 hours to reply back before I draw a new winner. Giveaway is open to US residents only who are 18 years of age or older.